Updated-Mexican Hot Tub Accident Wife Reveals More Details About Son Hurrying Out Of Water Before Accident

While on vacation at a Mexican resort, Lizzette Zambrano and her husband, Jorge Guillen, were both electrocuted while in the hot tub at the resort. She survived. He did not.

Now, Zambrano is speaking out about the tragic incident that took her husband’s life, and she’s sharing more details about what happened.

First of all, Zambrano believes “this could have been prevented.” She told ABC News that the reason they were electrocuted was due to an electrical issue the resort should have fixed. She claims there was faulty wiring that sent a current into the water in the hot tub. Zambrano is suing Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Peñasco for wrongful death.

Zambrano is seeking $1 million in damages, but for her, it’s not just about the money. She explained that she’s suing the resort because she wants “somebody to take accountability for what happened to my husband and myself.”

Zambrano claims that people who tried to help the couple were prevented from doing so. She explained, “The metal from the objects carried the electrical current and began shocking the rescuers.”

When Zambrano was pulled out of the hot tub, she didn’t have a pulse. She was transported to the hospital where she eventually recovered. However, when she woke up, she found out her husband didn’t make it.

The lawsuit is against Casago, the rental company for the resort, but Casago claims that they are not responsible because it’s the homeowners association’s responsibility to maintain the hot tub.

Friends of the family have set up a GoFundMe on their behalf. The goal of the GoFundMe is $60,000, and at the time of publication, that goal has almost been reached with a current total of $57,000.

 

Zambrano told PEOPLE what happened right before the fatal tragedy. She and her husband were enjoying the pool and then the beach before they joined several family members in the hot tub. Eventually, they were the only two left in the hot tub. Just 10 minutes before they were electrocuted, her son had been in the hot tub with them.

Zambrano remembers praying for herself and her husband when she felt the electric shocks. She explained, “What amazes me is that my family said there was so many people praying. So many people trying to help. That everybody had a part.”

In the end, Zambrano’s message to others to be more careful about where you decide to go on vacation.

For more about the Sonoran Sea Resort, watch the video below.