Baked Apple Cranberry Oat-Meals On-the-Go
Fall is here. School has started back up, the sun has begun to sleep in later and later, and there is a chill to the air that makes you want to stay in bed longer too. In short mornings are harder than usual and just as busy as ever. It can be tempting to stay in warm and cozy and grab a quick meal-to-go from a local deli or convenience store but I’m going to give you just the recipe you need to save money (cause let’s face it, those breakfasts on the run are never cheap), eat healthy, and be out the door in a flash. It just takes a little forethought. In less than an hour (with 30 minutes of that being inactive baking time) you can have breakfast ready for the next twelve days. Oats are a fantastic breakfast, as their heart-healthy fiber keeps you feeling full well into the lunch hour. The apples give a lovely sweetness and the tartness of the fresh cranberries is enough to wake anybody up!
3 cups rolled oats
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1 ½ cups chopped apples, (I like to the leave the skins on)
½ cup fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a muffin tin with non stick baking spray, or alternatively use muffin liners.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs with the brown sugar. Whisk in the sour cream until there are no lumps. Whisk in the milk.
- Add the egg mix to the oats. Add in the apples and cranberries and stir until everything is completely combined.
- Portion out all of the oatmeal mix into the muffin pan. Make sure each muffin gets some of the liquid from the mix, as this contains the eggs, the main binding agent that will hold these fruity and moisture oatmeal cups together.
- Bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack of your oven, rotating the pan once halfway through the cooking time.
- Allow to chill completely before serving.