She Bakes Bread in the Shape of a Football, but What She Puts Inside Is Even Better!
Whether you’re hosting a Super Bowl party or simply hanging out at home for the big game, watching the annual ultimate sports event calls for one thing: delicious appetizers! After all, there’s no better excuse for indulging in favorite dishes like nachos and wings than cheering on your favorite team while wearing your lucky jersey and hanging with your friends. (Even if you’re watching more for the commercials, it’s still a great reason!) We love all the options, but there’s one kind in particular that’s always guaranteed to please everybody: dip!
This year, we wanted to take our dip to the next level, but we also wanted to make sure that we still had the flavors everybody loves. Luckily, when we went looking for ideas, we found that our friends over at Little Things had come up with a super fun one that really captures the spirit of the day: spinach dip in a football-shaped bread bowl! How great is that?!
Even better? It’s totally possible for you to whip one up yourself. Seriously! You don’t have to be a master baker or have special magic bread-making skills. All you need are 3 tubes of Pillsbury French bread (or your favorite pre-made bread dough), some egg wash, and these instructions! Check it out.
Football Bread Bowl
- 3 tubes Pillsbury French bread
- Egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Roll out one of the dough tubes into a rectangle on the parchment paper.
- Use the remaining two tubes of bread dough to form an almond-shaped “football” atop the rectangular dough, using each tube to form a side. Pinch the tubes together and adjust the shape until you are satisfied with your football.
- Using a knife or a dough cutter, trim the excess dough from the bottom rectangle, so that it aligns with the football-shaped dough. Cut these trimmings into thin strips, and lay these dough strips on the edges of the football to form stripes.
- Brush the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until it is just beginning to brown, then remove from the oven.
- Prepare the spinach dip, and pour into the football bread bowl. Lay any extra dough strips across the dip to form the rest of the football’s stripes.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the bread bowl is golden brown and the spinach dip is cooked-through.
- If you like, use a stencil to top the finished Football Bread Dip Bowl with the number of your favorite player in Parmesan cheese.
So cool, right?! And so much easier than anybody’s going to think. Just imagine how impressed all your guests at your Super Bowl part will be, and let this Football Bread Bowl be the pre-game and halftime superstar.
Want the recipe for the spinach dip used in this recipe, or just want to see the forming of the football bowl in action? Watch Little Things’ video below! You can also check out the spinach dip recipe we used in our Artichoke Dip Stuffed Mushrooms.
What other dips would you make in this Football Bread Bowl? Do you think you’ll give it a try? What do you think of this easy method? Let us know what you think and if you give it a try!