11 Things You Didn’t Know About Cracker Barrel

Mike Mozart via Flickr

You probably know that Cracker Barrel is a laidback, no-frills kind of restaurant that serves a darn good biscuit. But what else do you know about this popular chain? Here are some surprising facts about this beloved restaurant that you may not have known.

  1. Cracker Barrel serves 11 million orders of Chicken n’ Dumplins a year.
  2. The top-selling menu item is their hash brown casserole.
  3. Each Cracker Barrel contains rocking chairs on the front porches which are handmade by the Hinkle Chair Company, a five-generation family business founded in 1834.
  4. Every table contains a Peg Solitaire Game created by the same company: Lebanon, Tennessee’s Qualls and Sons Novelties.
  5. The first Cracker Barrel opened in 1969, the same year the first man walked on the moon.
  6. Early locations of Cracker Barrels featured on-site Shell gasoline pumps which remained for decades. Because of that, these located were all located by major highway exits.
  7. All of the vintage tools, signs, photos, etc. you see at each restaurant are all authentic (not reproduced) and inspired by local history.
  8. They are in no way related to Cracker Barrel brand cheese.
  9. In 2012, the chain teamed up with Dolly Parton to release a two-disc album called “An Evening with…Dolly Live,” which wound up earning a certified gold title by the Recording Industry Association of America.
  10. They offer pre-packed, ready-to-heat options for catering holidays.
  11. 6. About 90 percent of the ingredients Cracker Barrel uses come from the U.S.—the other 10% are items not available in large enough quantities domestically, like shrimp.

Did you know any of these facts about Cracker Barrel?